Friday, December 23, 2011

How Justin Bieber destroyed a Christmas Carol

So the Little Drummer Boy, an amazing song that exudes humility and a sweet offering, has been overhauled by none other than Justin Bieber. And I hate to say it, but he has ruined the song for me forever.

It's not just that it has a fast beat, or has rapping in it - it's the words that he has chosen to mash up with such a beautiful song about a poor boy who brings the only offering he has to the King - a song on a drum. In this song it is clear that Jesus is King and worthy of our worship.

But in Bieber's version, there is no humility whatsoever, there's no honor to the newborn King.

Here are some of Justin's lyrics for his version of "The Little Drummer Boy"

I'm so tight, I might go psycho.
Christmas time so here's a recital.
I'm so bad like Michael, I know I'm still young but I go I go.
Stupid stupid love like cupid,
I'm the drummer boy so do it, do it.

I I I I... Hmmm, not so much about Jesus.

Oh and there's more - a rap included by Busta Rhymes:

Lemme get straight to it. Yo.
At the table with the family, havin' dinner,
Blackberry on our hip and then it gave a little flicker.
Then I took a look to see before it activates the ringer;
Came to realize my homie Bieber hit me on the Twitter.
Then I hit him back despite I had some food up on my finger,
Sippin' eggnog with a little sprinkle of vanilla,
Even though it's kinda cold, pullin' out a chinchilla,
Bieber hit me back and said, "Let's make it hot up in the winter."
I said, "Cool." Ya know Imma deliver;
Let's collaborate and make the holiday a little bigger.
Before we work I gotta get this off,
See the other family members and drop gifts off.
Then I'm headed to the studio cause ain't nothing stopping how
You know we bout to turn it up and really get it poppin' now.
People everywhere and all our Twitter followers,
"Merry Christmas, Kwanza, happy Hanukkah! "

Hmmmm, a song about Jesus coming as a baby to save the world - so happy Kwanza? happy Hanukkah? Neither of these celebrate Jesus, so why include them in a traditional and beloved Christmas song - about JESUS?

I am more than annoyed and just had to blog about it. And I don't recommend you listen to it or it might ruin it for you too! You're welcome :)

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

That is horrible!!

Danaly said...

Drummer boy is my girl's favorite song (the classic) not the the Bieber one. Glad my kids have no idea who Justin Bieber is.